Tuesday, April 26, 2016

OUGD401 - End of Module Evaluation

OUGD401 has been a challenging module as it required a lot of reading and writing and different forms of research to what I have been previously used to.

I found many of the study tasks quite challenging including the triangulation and analysing images however over the course of the year I have found myself improving at analysing texts and gathering relevant information.

For my research I felt I could have used more appropriate forms of collecting information by reading more critically acclaimed / academic sources than the 4 books I got from the library and I felt I sometimes relied too heavily on internet sources. This however allowed me to gather more current information as it was more recently published than the books were. I also felt I could have used triangulation and some of the other techniques we learnt in the lessons more throughout my writing. Before my next COP essay I plan on reading a few examples of 3rd year dissertations to get a grasp on the style and layout of writing that we are meant to be producing.

For the practical side of the submission I felt confused by the requirements for a long time and didn’t know how to get started / what outcomes to produce that would link in with the content of my essay. Because of this I feel my final outcomes were a bit rushed. If I had time to revisit the project, I would improve my work by producing my own photographs for the posters and actually making physical versions of the packaging rather than relying on Photoshop for both. I would also get the posters printed on high quality thicker stock, or made into magazine advertisements on glossy stock paper. I would also make sure the images were high quality resolutions so they didn't pixelate when printed out. 

I was happy with the outcome of my logo design and thought it worked well in achieving the new look I wanted to give to the brand. The feedback I received enforced that.

The questionnaire I made was successful in gathering feedback for the rebrand that I had done for Sprite and the results concluded what I had initially intended for the purpose of the rebrand: consumers buy a product for the lifestyle that the brand is advertising rather than the product itself.

From the survey results, the change of this ‘lifestyle’ also boosted sales of sprite amongst women as they found the previous packaging and advertising of sprite very masculine.

Looking back on my final piece I wish I had made a more gender neutral re-brand for a company than the one I did as I would have been able to gather much more varied research and opinions rather than focussing purely on women. This would have also allowed me to gather results on the relationship consumers as a whole have with branding rather than just women. In this respect my question began to cross over with "To what extent does advertising construct our ideas of gender?"


Overall I believe I completed COP to an good standard and was happy with the results that I got.

No comments:

Post a Comment