Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Practical Body of Work - Sprite rebrand

For the practical aspect of my COP I wanted to rebrand a product focussing more on the lifestyle of the product and the target market it was aimed at. In my essay I looked at how Marlborough and Red Bull both targeted a specific area of the market to ensure their brand was successful and made a profit. 

Therefore I wanted to take a neutral object and rebrand it so it was targeting a specific area of the market and to also create a lifestyle that the consumers purchasing the product would aspire towards. 

I began by considering 'neutral' objects that weren't particularly aimed at anyone and compiled a list such as:

- Stationary
- Cutlery
- E-cigarettes

However they all seemed boring and pretty mundane. Considering I had researched the branding of a drink in my essay, it led me to think about the different brands of drinks currently on the market and which ones I could rebrand to target a particular audience. 

I decided to go with 'Sprite' as currently it was a popular drink with I felt not much advertising. I thought the name 'Sprite' would also lend itself to be aimed more predominantly at the female target audience as the word draws parallels with fairies and nymphs. 

The brand I wanted to create would:

- Be aimed at females between 15 - 30
- Promote a bohemian, care-free life style 

This is the current packaging and advertising for Sprite. At the moment it is all very male orientated using a blue and green colour scheme, and young skater boys and basketball players in their advertisements. 







To begin making a more female orientated brand I then conducted research into current packaging and branding that was on the market that I felt could be suitable to inspire the new branding of Sprite.

Kirin Ichiban Beer

I like the mix of hand rendered typography and illustration in the colours used on this can. The metallic gold finish makes it look both luxurious and feminine.



Gin Rawal,  by Dorian (Spain)

The way the illustrations on these bottles are printed directly onto the bottle create an interesting effect. The limited colour palette also makes the bottles look more expensive.


Mermaid Bay, by Lucy Han

Using a navy blue colour scheme instead of black creates a more nautical finish to these bottles. I love the pen and ink effect on the illustrations printed onto the bottle, and how the differences in scale affect the depth. 





I wanted to take the name sprite and use it in it's literal sense, creating a fairy/ sprite for the brand mascot/logo. 

A few sketches I played around with:


 Chosen design: 

I then wanted to use hand lettering in the design as I felt it created a more feminine tone of voice. 

This is the one I went for: 
I then combined the illustration with the hand lettering to create the logo.
I felt like it needed something extra to complete the initial logo on the front. I wanted to include a tag line to emphasise the message of the brand. 'Release your inner sprite' links the name of the drink to the target audience I am focussing on and create appeal towards the brand, emphasising that the customer's life may somehow be better for buying this product, which is a topic that I explored in my essay. 

I wanted to incorporate a clean sans serif font for the tagline in the bottle and to highlight the flavour of the drink. 



I chose DIN Alternate in bold as I thought it was modern and compact typeface with clear legibility on a smaller scale. 

I wanted to keep the design of the logo black and white so it gave a minimalistic finish to the design of the bottle, making it a timeless design that would live on through passing trends. 

These are a few different layouts I played around with: 

I ended up going for this one: 

I then used photoshop to super impose the logo onto a bottle to see how it would look. As sprite is a colourless drink I wanted to keep the design of the bottle black and white to keep it modern and fresh. 



I then wanted to design some ad campaigns to further highlight who the product was aimed at. I wanted the brand to give of a fun, go-getter lifestyle aimed at women. I wanted it to promote adventure, creativity and spontaneity.

I found pictures on the internet featuring young, women who fit the fun loving and creative criteria and photoshopped the logo into the image, so it could be used as a poster, magazine spread or bus stop advertisement etc. 

These were the results I got: 


When I asked my peers for feedback they said they got mixed messages about the logo and background image used for this first poster. They said the logo was very girly and 'fairy' ish, whereas the background image was very extreme and adventurous. This made the overall message fairly confusing. One suggestion was to try the logo on a less extreme picture, perhaps featuring more nature like woodlands, or meadows, where you would associate the word 'Sprite' with more. 


This is where I came up with this resolution. The composition still works well as a whole however it ties in better with the name of the brand. The image still demonstrates a sense of adventure and spontaneity but to a less extreme degree.  

I also wanted to create an ad that promotes creativity as I feel that being creative ties in well with being spritely and further expands the target audience that the drink would appeal to. 


This is the final poster that I mocked up. I feel all 3 are very effective in highlighting the target audience I want to aim the brand at. 

To enhance the appeal of the brand I could add sections to the bottle like cocktail ideas to use the drink Sprite in, or mocktails for younger buyers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment